Sunday, October 20, 2013

What is FSH and what are some natural ways to lower FSH levels?

What is FSH?

FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) is a hormone released by the pituitary gland which stimulates the growth of follicles and has a role in the maturation of oocytes. The measurement of FSH levels in the blood is one of the most widely used tests to assess a woman's ovarian function and is typically taken on day 2 or 3 of a woman's menstrual cycle. If a woman's FSH levels are above what is expected for her age, then she is considered to have "High FSH". 
(Source: http://www.centerforhumanreprod.com/high_fsh.html)
FSH levels fluctuate daily within a woman's cycle, as well as from cycle to cycle. Low levels of FSH indicate a woman's eggs are plentiful and of good quality, while high levels may indicate that the woman's fertility is impaired. This doesn't mean that she's unable to get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy, but that getting pregnant and having a good pregnancy outcome may be more difficult that for a woman the same age with an average FSH level. 
(Source: http://health.howstuffworks.com/pregnancy-and-parenting/pregnancy/fertility/how-do-high-fsh-levels-affect-getting-pregnant.htm)

What are some natural ways to lower FSH levels?
1. DHEA

Dr. Mendiola of KATO prescribed me to take 75mg of DHEA every day, so I went to Healthy Options to get it. Based on my readings, allow at least 4 months to see results. Some have claimed its impressive results, but others did not see any improvement. I guess it still depends on how your body responds to it. Although studies say this supplement doesn't give significant side effects, some women who used it said they experienced breakouts, falling hair, upset stomach, facial hair growth, and deepening of the voice.











2. Acupuncture

Acupuncture and TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) also have been shown to give amazing results in lowering FSH levels. I swear by acupuncture. Four years ago, my husband used to have severe allergic rhinitis and only four sessions of acupuncture cured it.

On October 19th, I and hubby went to our acupuncturist, Dr. Ria of TCM Health Care, and discussed with her our current situation. Only six needles were used for my husband --3 on his legs (1 on the left, 2 on the right), 1 on each hand, and 1 on the nose. She used six needles on my legs (3 on each leg), 4 on my abdomen, and 1 on my nose. She also used an acupuncture heat lamp over my abdomen. After the session, Dr Ria checked my ears and said that I really have hormonal imbalance. She asked me to have my estradiol and progesterone checked on my CD 21. Hubby and I plan to continue to have acupuncture every week.


3. Wheatgrass

Wheatgrass is one of the superfoods and one of its popular benefits is that it can lower women's FSH levels. I have been drinking wheatgrass on and off in the last 7 months, but now I will be taking it religiously to help me with my hormone problem. Wheatgrass comes in different forms -- pill, powder, and grass. I use the powder form because it is more convenient for me.




4. Flaxseed Oil

I asked Dr. Ria about other supplements that I can take to help me with my hormonal imbalance and she recommended flaxseed oil. I bought a bottle at Healthy Options. 

In regards to fertility, flaxseed oil is used to treat menopausal symptoms, menstrual cramps, female infertility, and endometriosis. Because the hormone-balancing lignans and plant estrogens (phytoestrogens) in flaxseed oil help stabilize a woman's estrogen-progesterone ratio, they can have beneficial effects on the menstrual cycle, and relieve the hot flashes of premenopause and menopause. Flaxseed oil may also improve uterine function and thus treat fertility problems. In addition, the essential fatty acids in flaxseed oil have been shown to block production of prostaglandins, hormone-like substances that, when released in excess amounts during mentruation, can cause the heavy bleeding associated with endometriosis. 
(Source: http://ttcwithherbs.webs.com/flaxseedoil.htm)



















No comments:

Post a Comment