Thursday, May 22, 2014

Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT)

Because Dr. Solimen was skeptical about how the OGCT was done on me, he recommended me to do a 75g OGTT, which I did three days after my initial consultation with him. No preparation was necessary, except that I had to fast for 8 hours before taking the test.

The oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) measures the body's ability to use a type of sugar, called glucose, that is the body's main source of energy. An OGTT can be used to diagnose prediabetes and diabetes. An OGTT is most commonly done to check for diabetes that occurs with pregnancy (Source: http://www.webmd.com)

I and hubby got to the lab at 7 a.m., only to find out that it opens at 8 a.m. That meant extended fasting for me. 

As soon as the lab opened, the nurse in charged drew blood from me. This is for the fasting blood sugar test. 


Then she gave me a bottle of 75g glucose drink, which I had to consume within 5 minutes. It was orange and very sweet, but not very difficult to consume. 

After that, I had to wait an hour for the second blood extraction. This was for the 1-hour post 75g glucose test. I wasn't allowed to leave the lab though because using my energy on walking would affect the result of the test. After my blood was drawn the second time I still had to wait another hour for the 3rd blood sample. This was for the 2-hour post 75g glucose test. I was already very hungry, but I shouldn't eat or drink anything, nor leave the lab, until after the third test. Boredom and hunger got through me, I was ready to pass out. Good thing I still made it until the last test.

That afternoon, I and hubby went to Dr. Solimen to show the results.


Although data showed a little bit high numbers, these were still within the normal values. Fortunately, I didn't have GDM. However, Dr. Solimen asked me to do another 75g OGTT on my 28th week of pregnancy because GDM usually "shows up" from that time.




No comments:

Post a Comment