Friday, March 15, 2013

Fluid in the Cul-de-sac

I had my follicle monitoring today. Despite the assistance of Clomid, there was only one dominant follicle, which is on the left ovary. Dr. Fernandez was supposed to schedule the IUI within the next two days. Unfortunately, 24mL of fluid was found in the cul-de-sac and it needed to be addressed first. Doing the IUI with the fluid still in the cul-de-sac would only be a waste of money and time because fertilization will not likely occur in this situation. Also, with my second month of using Clomid, my uterine lining has already thinned, which may hinder implantation if not corrected. So Dr. Fernandez prescribed me to take antibiotics (for the cul-de-sac issue) and estrogen (for the uterine lining) for three days. I will be having a repeat follicle monitoring on Monday. If the results are good and the dominant follicle has not ruptured yet by then, we will do the IUI for this cycle. If not, Dr. Fernandez will prescribe me a different fertility pill, instead of Clomid for the next cycle.

Cul-de-sac (Source: http://pcos.about.com/od/glossary/g/Cul-De-Sac.htm)

There are two small pouches close to the uterus, one on either side, called the cul-de-sacs. The anterior cul-de-sac is located between the bladder and the uterus. The posterior cul-de-sac is found between the uterus and the rectum. They are also called the excavatio recto-uterina (posterior) and excavatio vesico-uterina (anterior). Refer to the accompanying photo to see exactly where they are located.



In women undergoing fertility treatment, fluid in the cul-de-sac (as seen on ultrasound) is a common finding in ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). If the doctor suspects that you have this condition, he or she will likely suggest that you have an ultrasound to check for fluid in the cul-de-sac and measure your ovaries (enlarged ovaries are also common in OHSS).



It is frustrating, but what can I do? I just have to keep trying and doing what is needed. I hope my body will respond properly to medicine.








1 comment:

  1. I have posterior cul de sac free fluid with a volume of about 5cc,I don't if this is good condition?

    ReplyDelete