Sunday, November 17, 2013

KATO: 6th Consultation - The first b-hcg test

So the dreadful 12-day wait is done. Originally, I and hubby planned to go to Kato in the afternoon of November 14th, but I received a text message from Kato the day before saying that we had to be there in the morning. Seeing the message made me more anxious.

We got there at 8:30 a.m. Some patients were already waiting. First, I was called into the testing room for my vital signs and blood extraction for the hormone tests (estradiol, progesterone, and b-hcg). It usually takes 45 minutes before the result comes out.

We watched TV in the patients' lounge while waiting for the result. I couldn't focus though. Every time the bell sounded when a patient was called, I let out a big sigh. Hubby kept telling me to relax. I just couldn't help it. I was too nervous, while hubby was excited.

Forty-five minutes had passed, we were not called yet. The waiting was killing me. It was the longest 45 minutes yet. 

After an hour of anxiety, we were finally called into the consultation room. Only Dr. Ong-jao was there to deliver us the news. First she asked how I was feeling and I said I was very nervous. And then she showed us the result of the blood test. My b-hcg level was 159.3, which according to Dr. Ong-jao, was a good sign that the embryo had implanted enough. She also said that at this value, a home pregnancy test can already detect pregnancy although I was only 4 weeks 4 days far along. My estrogen and progesterone levels were also good, 339.2 and 52.62 respectively.

I was shaking when Dr. Ong-jao said the result was positive. I couldn't speak well. It's a great birthday gift for me this year.

I bought a home pregnancy test kit (hpt kit) and tested as soon as I and hubby got home. It was so pleasing to finally see a second line on that stick.




We are scheduled for another b-hcg test on November 19th, five days after the first one. HCG levels should double every two days, so we should have a much higher value on the second b-hcg test.

Yesterday (November 16) I went to Dr. Ria, my acupuncturist. She was also very happy about the good news. I showed her the result of the hormone tests and she assured me that everything looked fine. She put the needles on my head and on my legs then I had a nice 30-minute nap. I should be doing acupuncture until the time we get a heartbeat from the baby. 

Hubby and I are still on cloud nine. We waited 6 years for this.

I am still nervous though. I hope and pray that my baby is developing well.






10 comments:

  1. congratulation! im following your blog and i am inspired by it. like you i am an aspiring mom. have a happy and healthy full term pregnancy.

    http://hernameiskhassy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you so much. Baby dust to you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I know your age? am also doing consults in Kato but am 40 y/o now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I'm 36 y/o now. Good luck on your journey to getting pregnant with Kato. I sincerely wish you positive results. =)

      Delete
  4. Hello madam... im also a patient of kato but my try was not successful as yours... im planning to have another try and youve mention in this blog that your having acupuncture sessions simultaneous with your treatment in kato... does acupuncture helps? I was wondering if i could also do the same this time... can you please help me with this? Where do you go for acupuncture...thanks mariz dizon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Yza! Yes, I believe acupuncture played a big part to the success of my IVF journey. I and hubby went to Dr. Ria at TCM. The clinic is on the 2nd floor of Mercury Drug, right across from St. Luke's Medical Center - Global City. Her schedule is from Tuesday to Saturday, 10am - 4pm. Good luck! =)

      Delete
    2. Thank you madam... i already ask dra.perillo and she said acupuncture helps... so ill try. God bless po!

      Delete
  5. can i get the contact details for TCM of Dra. Ria? I was a patient of hers a few years back when her clinic was still in Glorietta, Makati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! These are the contact numbers I have of TCM: +639162345779 / (02) 511-0898 / (02) 325-0623

      Delete
  6. HI Dette!

    May I ask how much all in all did you spend in KATO including the acupuncture treatment?

    Thanks!
    Irish

    ReplyDelete